WHY STORYTELLING WITH INTENT
For the first 5 years of my career I knew how to operate a camera, but I had no idea what I should be filming, or how to film it. In short, I got really good at videoing all the wrong things. My videos looked flashing and sharp, but they were empty inside. They were filled with lots of cool camera moves and other effects, but they didn’t affect the people who watched them. They were a sugar hit without any lasting substance.
This workshop changes that. It recognises the hard-wired human desire for story and connection and teaches you how to find, film and then edit that human experience into a wedding film.
It will teach the fundamental elements that drive good story and then equip you with a whole bunch of filming techniques that will help you to capture that story through your lens and craft together an edit that will grab your audience from the get go.
And because the content in this workshop is built from first principles up, you will not only know how to film, but why you’re filming that way. This deeper understanding of story then gives you all the tools you need to take what you’ve learnt and apply it to other genres of videography, photography and it might even change the way you take photos with your family at Christmas time!
If someone was to ask me, what ‘above all else’ should I learn about videography, this workshop would be my answer. It’s a 2-day download of my brain that captures the heart of what drives my films and then teaches you how to capture these moments in your own style, for yourself.
- How to identify and target the key strengths of videography (compared to photography) and how to emphasise them in your film.
- How to build pricing packages that are conducive to capturing unique imagery.
- How to educate your couple on what really matters
- Tips on how to be a proactive filmmaker, not a reactive filmmaker.
- The different energy lenses have and how/when to use them to capture personality.
- How composition affects story and how to sequence shots together that revel information over time.
- A deep dive into camera movement. How different movement affects how your film will feel.
- Understanding the forth wall and 180deg rules. And when you can break it.
- How to capture clean audio at a ceremony and speeches every time, even when the sound system fails.
- How to control audio to get clean sound in tricky (un-mic’d) environments.
- How to cheat a multi camera look with only one camera.
- Identifying what cheese is, and how to avoid it!
- A complete breakdown of why and how I light relevant sections of the wedding day.
- How subtle changes to how you conduct yourself on a wedding day will make your couple feel so much more comfortable in front of the lens.
- Identifying the key ingredients of strong story.
- Highlighting where these stories are often found on a wedding day.
- How to use the filmmaking techniques above to capture and build a strong story.
- Deconstruction of an edit to study how it’s built and arranged.
- Editing techniques that include why and when you should make a cut. And when not to.
- When to build a chronological edit, and when/how to mix it up without losing your audience.
- Tips for finding the right song for your edit and how to manage a brides expectations on music choice.
- Tips and guidance on quickly finding building strong edits on the timeline without hours of stumbling around in the dark.